Kevin Hill on Mon, 2 Aug 1999 17:41:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] PCMCIA problem

Ok, let me try to cloud the waters even more...

As a caveat, let me point out that I'm running SuSE but the theories
presented here should be valid across distros (or at least with RedHat).

On my system, two separate scripts control the loopback and ethernet
interfaces.  The loopback device is started by /sbin/init.d/boot, which
I would guess lives in /etc/rc.d/init.d/boot on RedHat.  This script
checks for the value of a $START_LOOPBACK variable and, if set to YES,
simply calls the standard ifconfig line to start the loopback adapter:

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

This is part of the TCP/IP stack of the kernel.  It's not a module nor
can it be compiled as one.  The only confusion may arise from the
kernel's "loopback device" support option which really just allows you
to use a regular file as a block device and has nothing to dowith
networking.  Even so, this builds a "loop.o" module and not "lo.o".

The second script is /sbin/init.d/network (comparable to
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network) which checks a system file for the network
devices that should exist on the system (/etc/rc.config on SuSE and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ on RedHat) and then attempts to bring
them up.  If you don't have an eth0, these files are the source of the
problem.  Check them to make sure they're correct.

The "lo.o" module mentioned in your error message is whacked.  If you
can't figure it out, post your network script to the list or send it
directly to me.  I'd like to see it.

- khill

"Michael C. Toren" wrote:

> > according to the comments within /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia  usage is pcmcia
> > {start|stop|restart}
> > I would expect a message to be sent to /var/log/messages, but no such result.
> > ->How can I tell if the restart is functioning?
>
> You could peek through the shell script, and see what it's trying to do.
>
> > I did a restart of /etc/rc.d/init.d/network, and got a result of
> > Aug 2 16:11:53 frodo modprobe: can't locate module lo:[1-49]
> > I realize that this indicates that it can't find the module for lo, but
> > -> does this inherently mean that lo is not in the kernel, or could lo be called
> > twice?
> > In addition, I still do not know, does
> > -> lo = loopback adapter or local host?
>
> lo is the loopback network interface.  You can try doing either an
> "ifconfig lo", or an "lsmod" to see if the module is already loaded
> successfully...
>
> -mct

begin:vcard
n:Hill;Kevin
tel;fax:215.283.4942
tel;work:215.283.4877
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.quarterleaf.com/
org:The Sycamore Group;Enterprise Development Division
version:2.1
email;internet:khill@quarterleaf.com
title:Senior Application Architect
adr;quoted-printable:;;580 Virginia Drive=0D=0ASuite 100;Fort Washington;PA;19034;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;25440
fn:Kevin Hill
end:vcard