Tim peeler on Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:01:40 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Recompiling Slackware boot disk kernels

umweber@mcs.drexel.edu wrote:

> On my 80 meg seagate mfm hard drive, I am attempting to install Slackware.
> It doesn't look as bad as I've heard... but I don't even get to the fdisk
> part yet..  Anyway, the xt.i image wasn't finding the drive, so I looked
> in xd.c in the kernel source, and added in the info for the card I was
> using.  Now I need to recompile the kernel, and put it on the
> boot/installation disk I am using, but the problem is that I don't know
> what options were turned off and on originally, and every time I try to
> make a new kernel it's much bigger than what's on the xt.i image.
> Does anyone know how I can find this out.. or have any suggestions for
> redoing the bootdisk. Thanks.
>
> --
> Michelle Weber
> umweber@mcs.drexel.edu

What you should probably do instead of copying your new image over the
image on your xt.i disk is create a new bootdisk from scratch, problems
with lilo if you don't.  First fdformat and mkfs.ext2, or minix, a
floppy.
Then make the following directories on the floppy:
/etc
/boot
/proc
/dev

Copy your newly compiled bzImage, use bzimage it makes it smaller,
to /vmlinuz on your floppy.  Edit /etc/lilo.conf on your floppy
and add the following:

boot=/dev/fd0
message=/boot/message
prompt
image = /vmlinuz
	label = ramdisk
	ramdisk = 49152
	root = /dev/fd0u1440
	vga = normal
image = /vmlinuz
	label = drive2
	ramdisk = 49152
	root = /dev/fd1u1440
	vga=normal
image = /vmlinuz
	label = mount
	ramdisk = 0
	root = /dev/fd0u1440
	vga = normal

You can just copy the /etc/lilo.conf from a bootdisk to /etc/lilo.conf
on your new bootdisk.

Next make a few devices, the ones you'll need are:

/dev/fd0
/dev/fd0u1440
/dev/fd1
/dev/fd1u1440
/dev/sda
/dev/sda{1..X} wouldn't hurt
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb{1..X}
/dev/null
/dev/zero
/dev/console
/dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS1
/dev/cua0
/dev/cua1
/dev/loop[0..4]
/dev/ram
/dev/ram[1..4]

probably will need more, but I don't know w/o knowing your hardware.
use ls -l /dev/XXX if you're unsure about the type and major/minor
of your devices, or referr to the devices.txt under the Documentation
directory in the kernel source.

Next, just copy the /boot/message from one of the pre-made install disks
to your new disk /boot/message.

Do the follwing to finish up:
mountdir = where you mounted your disk

# this mounts read/write
rdev -R /mountdir/vmlinuz 0
# tells which drive we're using
rdev /mountdir/vmlinuz /dev/fd0u1440
# enables using ramdisk
rdev -r /mountdir/vmlinuz 49152
# installs lilo on your floppy
lilo -r /mountdir

That should be it, unmount and reboot and try the install.

Tim