Kevin Falcone on Tue, 3 Aug 1999 23:59:59 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] quick apache question

  CB> I have a quick apache question. From a standard distribution and with
  CB> apache and cgi scripts already working, how would I go about making the
  CB> default document a cgi script instead of index.html? I've been wondering
  CB> this for ages and believe it or not, I have looked through the docs,
  CB> though perhaps not vigorously enough.

  CB> All I want is for the script to run when I go to http://localhost instead
  CB> of showing index.html

Well, my homepage is a php script, but I'm sure that you can figure
out the difference.  In the config file, there is a line with
DirectoryIndex, and you need to add the filename you want to use
(index.cgi?) to it. Mine looks like this.

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.cgi

The .php extension is bound to PHP, so apache knows what to do, you
need to do something similar for the .cgi extension, and then put
index.cgi first in the list, and then everything should work.  I
believe you need an AddHandler for the .cgi extension, but its been a
while.

-kevin

--
Kevin Falcone <kevinfal@seas.upenn.edu>

"The gene pool could use a little chlorine"