giblfiz on Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:50:02 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] help me, Im a newbie

Hello members of plug and linux gurus of philly.
I just recently decided that it was about time that I learned lunix and
set out to do so on my own. Though I realised that it would be difficult
I did not realise just how difficuled it would be. (I am a mac user) I
purchased a preassembled computer (with no OS instaled) and proceded to
install Linux from the redhat 5.2 CD. I was quite disturbed when I found
that the Sis 530 chipset was not suported by redhat, and that I was going
to need to install a patch that was not a RH- packet. (keep in mind, im
brand new to this, and a bit intimidated) I also discoverd that my
netgear FA310 tx ethernet card was not supported in the package included
in the install CD. So I am kind of stuck, I don't know qite how to get
the packets onto my Linux box, and with the Xwindows patch I don't know
what to do once I get it their. Any help or advice would be greatly
appriciated.

Thanks
     Harry Pottash