Vale_Kenny on Wed, 4 Aug 1999 12:45:26 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] A few more developed questions....

DrexelDG@aol.com on 08/04/99 11:46:42 AM
Please respond to plug@lists.nothinbut.net

To:   plug@lists.nothinbut.net
cc:    (bcc: Vale Kenny/Cntrct/VGI)
Subject:  [Plug] A few more developed questions....

>Heya all,
>    Let me first ask to sooth my nerves, did you all learn how to do this
>stuff in a few months?  Or did it take a few years?
A year more than less, and another year previous to this past one less than
more.

> I hope it took a few years cause in the few months I have being using Linux I
feel like I have
>taken more steps backward then forward.  :)
Been there, I used to think I worked in the technology field, then I found UNIX.
Give it another couple of months, and then you'll start piping output from one
command to another with increasing complexity, and you'll really understand how
far you have to go..but then you feel knowledgable at least.

>  That being said I have a
>question regarding installing and configuring stuff that you download from
>the net.  I got them to unpack, or un archive.  The K desktop comes with a
>God sent utility that does it for me.  And being the point and click person
>that I am when they start getting into unpile this, untar that, ./configure
>this, i get lost right away.  :)  So is there a man page for all this stuff
>that is on the HD that I am not aware of?
Yes, man tar, man gunzip, more README.TXT for the compile stuff..
keep notes of steps.  You will quickly learn that there are a few combinations
of switches for a given command that are used regularly, then put aliases for
them into .bashrc.

> I am using Caldera open linux 2.2
>I think.
can't help you there

>I have reviewed a number of times the READmes that come with the
>stuff and I still cannot seem to get it to work.  I think thats it... sorry
>for the ramblness of the run on paragraph..
>
>Regards
>
>Anthony

Peace,