Aaron Brown on Wed, 4 Aug 1999 14:19:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] A few more developed questions....

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 DrexelDG@aol.com wrote:

:Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:46:42 EDT
:From: DrexelDG@aol.com
:To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
:Subject: [Plug] A few more developed questions....
:
:Heya all,
:    Let me first ask to sooth my nerves, did you all learn how to do this
:stuff in a few months?  Or did it take a few years?  I hope it took a few
:years cause in the few months I have being using Linux I feel like I have
:taken more steps backward then forward.  :)

 I have been useing linux for about a year now, starting with RH 5.1 and I
am still clueless about most of it.  I know enough to get things going and
where to go to learn what I need to learn.  But i still have LOTS to learn

That being said I have a
:question regarding installing and configuring stuff that you download from
:the net.  I got them to unpack, or un archive.  The K desktop comes with a
:God sent utility that does it for me.  And being the point and click person
:that I am when they start getting into unpile this, untar that, ./configure
:this, i get lost right away.  :)

Usually in each program that you download you will see a file called
INSTALL or README if both read them.

So is there a man page for all this stuff
:that is on the HD that I am not aware of?

Get O'Reilleys Linux in a Nutshell.  It is a great book to referance for
commands, and what they do.  And as always man is the best friend of
everyone in the *nix community.

I am using Caldera open linux 2.2
:I think.

For learning, I suggest as is the easiest to learn on, RedHat.  But if you
can learn what you need to do on Open Linux more power to ya.  try a few
distributions and you will find yourself useing the one that you are the
most comfortable with.

I have reviewed a number of times the READmes that come with the
:stuff and I still cannot seem to get it to work.  I think thats it... sorry
:for the ramblness of the run on paragraph.
:

Good luck, and if you have any questions do not be afraid to ask.  And
looking to the web and newsgroups can be a great help.

:Regards
:
:Anthony
: