Michael C. Toren on Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:56:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Invalid uid/pw

>  > Ok, you're typig in your password to login, and you hit the enter key (This is
>  > on SVR4 BTW, so no bksp until after login).  Immediately after hitting enter,
>  > you realise you've entered you uid, or pw wrong.  So you have to wait 2 or 3
>  > seconds for the system to let you do it again.
>  > Well, it's pissin me off, and I want to know, is there a key combination to tell
>  > the system "Hey knock it off, lemme try again...", so I don't have to wait?
>
>     Absolutely not.  This is a feature, not a bug.  Maybe I should
> mention this when I'm talking about security next month . . . .

Ofcourse, you can modify the delay time by editing /etc/login.defs on most
newer systems.  This isn't the same as a keyboard sequence to kill the
delay prematurely once you've already entered an incorrect login, though,
which would definitely be a security matter.

-mct