John Nolan on Fri, 6 Aug 1999 07:09:00 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Question of the Day:Redhat IPO

Here's my response to this question -- a quote from today's
financial times:

> This week's share price declines have also left a
> question over the ability of young, cash-starved internet
> companies to continue to use the financial markets to
> back their growth. A number of companies to launch
> initial public offerings in recent days have seen their
> shares fall below the prices at which they were sold to
> investors, marking a reversal of the big premiums that
> many traded at earlier this year.

Not all companies' share prices increase after the IPO.
Some actually go down -- this is what happened with both
N2K and CDnow.  Being blocked out of the initial offering
might end up being a stroke of luck.  :)

I hope this doesn't happen to Red Hat, but you never know.
Stocks are risky.