Jason S. on Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:43:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] soft RAID

Have either of you read the Raid HOWTO? I glanced over it, and software
Raid 5 does indeed seem possible. As for specific examples as to when
software raid is more attractive than hardware raid.... the cost of
hardware raid (at least on sun systems) is rather large. I've been
in the situation where it was beter to take the performace hit and
have the fault tollerance than not. Price simply made hardware raid
a non issue.