Rebecca Ore on Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:07:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Publicly accessible news server?

On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 03:54:56PM -0400, John Nolan wrote:

> > WAIT... you're complaining because it keeps messages for TOO long and has
> > TOO MANY groups on it?
> >
> > If this isn't sarcasm, maybe you should look for a different client rather
> > than a different server.
>
> Actually, no, I wasn't kidding.  I use either Netscape or tin.
> Tin routinely chokes because of the large number of groups,
> and when it doesn't choke, it's dog slow.  Netscape is better,
> but Netscape still insists on downloading all message headers,
> even if they go back for months.

This can be fixed if you're getting all message headers whether you've
read them or not.  Otherwise, mark the group read when you first enter
it.

> Can anyone recommend a better news client?

Slrn is really quite nimble.  I also use Gnus, which is a program that
fits inside Emacs or XEmacs.  If you don't want to run either of those
editor/operating systems, slrn is your best bet.  I like Eterm to run it
in as the mouse events work with that terminal.  Slrn and gnus both
require text editing of the configuration files.  I have fairly useful
configuration files for both of them if you need help.

--
Rebecca Ore