Alexander John Batyi on Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:09:07 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Publicly accessible news server?

> Actually, no, I wasn't kidding.  I use either Netscape or tin.
> Tin routinely chokes because of the large number of groups,
> and when it doesn't choke, it's dog slow.  Netscape is better,
> but Netscape still insists on downloading all message headers,
> even if they go back for months.
>
> Can anyone recommend a better news client?

I use trn.  Simply type newsetup before you start and it will mark
everything as read and only show you subsequent news.  I like the
trheading since you mark things to read on a per thread basis.