Tim Peeler on Mon, 16 Aug 1999 21:25:06 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Crashed logins

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> > I use my computer as an ipmasq gateway for my parents' computer, an
> > old Macintosh.  The easiest way I've found for them to start and stop
> > an Internet connection is by creating a telnet account that simply
> > creates a lock on the connection, and deletes it when they log out.
> > As long as somebody has a lock on the connection, nobody can kill the
> > connection.
>
> As an alternative approach, you may find diald interesting.  It allows you
> to configure "dial-on-demand" connectivity, which will trigger a dialup

I highly recommend using diald.  I was going through something like that with
my brother's box that I was masquerading.  Diald really really helps out, he
doesn't have to telnet into my box to setup the ppp connection and when he's
done doing whatever diald shuts off the connection.  It's highly configurable.
Right now I have scripts running that tell dhis.org when I'm online, start-stop
ip-masq, send queued email, fetch email from dhis and my isp. Trust me, it's
definitly worth looking into.

Tim

-- Eh, that's it, I
guess.  No 300 million dollar unveiling event for this kernel, I'm afraid, but
you're still supposed to think of this as the "happening of the century" (at
least until the next kernel comes along). Oh, and this is another kernel in that
great and venerable "BugFree(tm)" series of kernels. So be not afraid of bugs,
but go out in the streets and deliver this message of joy to the masses.  --
Linus Torvalds, on releasing 1.3.27