LeRoy D. Cressy on Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:58:11 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Formatting ext2

Well, where is lilo installed?  There are options to install it on the
mbr (master boot record of the drive or on an active partition.  When
you run fdisk or cfdisk you should mark one of the partitions as
bootable.  I like using my linux root partition as the boot partition.
Then I install lilo on that root partition with the following lines in
/etc/lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda4
root=/dev/hda4

These tell lilo where the boot partition is and etc.  If you have it
pointing to just the disk /dev/hda then it writes to the mbr.  Then when
you run windows it sees a messed up mbr and fixes it.

Moral of the story:

make an ext2 partition a bootable partition with fdisk
set lilo.conf boot parameters to point to that partition with the boot
line.

Please read the lilo user's guide in /usr/doc/lilo?

--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037