Michael Leone on Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:58:03 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Trouble starting X remotely

I have a machine running Slackware 3.4 (kernel 2.0.34) as an intranet web
server, email server, etc, on my LAN - all the good stuff that Linux does
so well and silently. :-)

Anyway - I have X installed on this server. If I startx from the server
console, everything comes up just as it should. Life is good.

If I telnet in (from a Win95 station), and (following the example in _A
Practical Guide to Linux_, the only book I have handy here at work) do a
echo $DISPLAY (to get the contents of the DISPLAY environmental variable to
pass to X), I get a blank - not the ":0.0" example in the book.

So, when I startx from the telnet session, X starts over on the server
console.
And I have to go over to the server and stop X. Life is bad.

1. What am I doing wrong? I want the X to show in my telnet window on my
workstation, not on the server. How can I pass X the info to show up here
rather than there?
2. Does the server have to already be running X?