Charles Stack on Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:08:48 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Trouble starting X remotely

I managed to get X running remotely on my RH 6 box using X-WinPro for
Windows.  I used XDMCP to get everything started.  One thing I did notice is
that I could not get X to run remotely if the server did start X on login.
In other words, my Linux box has to start X automatically in run level 5.
Another thing I discovered was that I couldn't log in from the
internet...only from my LAN.  I'm guessing this is either an IP translation
problem or something just isn't configured properly.

Anyway...for those of you with Windoze boxes and want to run X, grab a copy
of X-WinPro.  It offers multiple window settings (Full Screen, multiple
windows, multiple windows with remote windows manager, etc).  If you select
the remote windows manager variant, your X windows co-mingle on your Windoze
screen but assume the look and feel of your favorite windows manager.

Charles