Greg Lopp on Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:23:23 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Linux and Home Banking.

"John A. Simkiss III" wrote:

> Can anyone recommend any personal financial packages (with which you have
> personal experience) for Linux ?
>
> jas3
>
> p.s.  Non-Linux question:  any local (Philly or northwestern suburbs) banks
> have good online banking packages ?

PNC done online banking w/ Quicken only.  I believe that First Union and MBNA
each give you the choice of quicken, MS Money or web based.

The problem is that all of the local banks charge a fee for the use of these
services......services which save them money.  Which is more costly for the
bank?  1) To collect all the paper checks, send them to a processing site where
they pay for a large security staff in addition to the drones who read and
encode the magnetic numbers onto the checks, which are then fed into
computerized check reader....or 2) A system which feeds the data straight into
the computer, bypassing all those people (read:opportunities to introduce
errors to the system and )

I know, I know, it is really all about fixed costs, the fact that these are
new, "premium" services, I guess that I just got spoiled with Bank of America
(free online banking and bill paying if you never talk to a teller.  24 hour
phone service was still free of charge)