Hugh Brock on Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:24:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Individual FTP Accounts

Charles Stack wrote:

> Anyone know how to setup a Linux box to allow multiple FTP accounts without
> giving them login or mail accounts on the machine?

I wouldn't use FTP at all, if you're concerned about security --
passwords transmitted in the clear, big gaping holes... not nice at all.
Probably the easiest thing is to set up a re-rooted account (put chroot
in the shell start-up script) so they can only see their home directory,
and then let them use scp to come grab files.

Alternatively you could use the file storage module of the Ars Digita
Community System (www.arsdigita.com), a free and open-source web
toolkit... but that would probably be using a cannon to kill a flea.

--Hugh