Kyle Burton on Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:28:34 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Individual FTP Accounts

> I wouldn't use FTP at all, if you're concerned about security --
> passwords transmitted in the clear, big gaping holes... not nice at all.
> Probably the easiest thing is to set up a re-rooted account (put chroot
> in the shell start-up script) so they can only see their home directory,
> and then let them use scp to come grab files.
>
> Alternatively you could use the file storage module of the Ars Digita
> Community System (www.arsdigita.com), a free and open-source web
> toolkit... but that would probably be using a cannon to kill a flea.

if it's just for downloading files, you could use the https, and .htaccess
features of apache (or any other websever for that matter) -- and set up
individual directoires for each user, or class of user.  Let them each have
their own password, and only allow access to their own area for downloading.

https://www.box.com/downloads/private/mycompanyname/file.xyz

To be wise, the only thing you really need to know is when to say "I don't
know."
    -- fortune file