Alexander John Batyi on Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:46:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Routing problems - worse, I think

> I can connect to the internet just fine this way. Can't seem to
> telnet/ftp in from another station on my local LAN, tho, which I also

That all looks ok except for a little extra stuff but that shouldn't hurt
anything.  Can you ping another machine on your 192. network by
IP address?  Did you try and telnet/ftp by name or IP?

> need to do. I've tried all kinds of combinations of "route del", to no
> good effect (obviously).

route del destination should work.  destination is something from
the first column in the route command output.  The only quirk I
have found is that when depending on pppd or dip to
create the default route and there is an existing default
route then it fails to create the new default.  For example I put
/sbin/route del default in ppp-on before the pppd command.  I also cat a
file I created called /etc/resolv.online > /etc/resolv.conf in ppp-on
after the pppd line to let my resolver see the ISPs nameserver
when I am online and ppp-off overwrites this with resolv.offlin
when I want to hang up.  If you failed to telnet/ftp using names
and it works with IP addresses then your routes are ok and you need to
examine name resolution.  If not it could be that extra network route.
You may have to delete both and recreate the one.  Use the -net
option.

/sbin/route del 192.x.0.0
/sbin/route del 192.x.0.0
/sbin/route add -net 192.x.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0