Michael Leone on Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:35:57 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Routing problems - worse, I think

At 02:45 PM 8/27/99 -0400, you wrote:
>> I can connect to the internet just fine this way. Can't seem to
>> telnet/ftp in from another station on my local LAN, tho, which I also
>
>That all looks ok except for a little extra stuff but that shouldn't hurt
>anything.  Can you ping another machine on your 192. network by
>IP address?

Yes. Can ping 192.168.0.10, another Win95/Linux machine.

>Did you try and telnet/ftp by name or IP?

By IP. TELNET 192.168.0.1, from another linux box (192.168.0.10). Says a
connection is established. Then it says that the connection is closed -
before I can even attempt to log in.

>when I want to hang up.  If you failed to telnet/ftp using names
>and it works with IP addresses then your routes are ok and you need to
>examine name resolution.

No, it fails with IP addresses, so the name resolution shouldn't be an
issue in this case.

>If not it could be that extra network route.
>You may have to delete both and recreate the one.  Use the -net
>option.
>
>/sbin/route del 192.x.0.0
>/sbin/route del 192.x.0.0
>/sbin/route add -net 192.x.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

Thanks, I'll try that tonight.