Bill on Sat, 28 Aug 1999 01:15:44 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Voicenet - My Novel

Ok,

    I know the thread is dead now about Voicenet, but I feel obligated to
discuss some insights about the issue.  Sorry I didn't post earlier, but
I've been busy at work all week.  My job you might ask?  I'm a Platinum
level/Senior technician for Voicenet!  Platinum is the highest level of
Tech Support at Voicenet.  I've been in this level for a year+, while
being employed at Voicenet on total of about two years.  Senior level
Techs at VN don't just deal with support issues, but also with System &
Network Administration issues as well.

    First off, Voicenet 3 years ago, compared to Voicenet today are two
COMPLETELY different things.  Three years ago the 28.8k modem came out,
people still used BBS's more than the Internet, and Voicenet was still a
Baby to the world of ISP's practically.  The amount of knowledge back then
could not COMPARE to that which is available today, thus decreasing
experience in the field.  Just as people grow and become more experienced,
so do companies (ISP's in this case).  So it seems very judgemental unfair
to hold a grudge about something in the PRESENT time, as we are ALL still
learning, let alone something from _3 YEARS_ ago, when the Internet was
just starting to get popular.  But again, that's just my opinion.

    Ahh, my favorite part of the Voicenet bashing.  The insecure,
un-experienced, stupid, hard headed, deaf, wet behind the ears, rude,
obnoxious, Tech Support they have!  Those were some of the more pleasant
things I've heard from customers talking to Voicenet's Tech Support in the
past.  Well, I will say this; Voicenet's Technical Support Department is
the department that turns the gears and gets things done (we also take the
most abuse :( )..  We live amongst the rest of you in your every day
lives:) (ALOT of us are even subscribed to this mailing list!)  And,
BELIEVE me, we push unix/linux to upper management as MUCH as possible, as
90% of us use and prefer this environment.

    For example, right now I'm writing this email in pine, on my own linux
box running Redhat 6.0.  I own a couple domains (u4ea.org & fsckyou.com).
and host them from my own name servers (ns1.u4ea.org and ns2.u4ea.org).  I
host & virtual host domains, mail, and web for friends and other people
(be sure to check out http://www.u4ea.org for a list).  Also, if anyone
needs hosting, or a shell account(on mustang.u4ea.org, be sure to email
admin@u4ea.org and I'll work something out with you.

    I also own a Sun sparc10, running solaris7, and run solaris7 intel on
another machine on my network - viper.u4ea.org.  Sorry, shell accounts on
this box are for very special people only. :)  If anyone has any questions
about setting up BIND 8.2.1, how to create & manage zone files/zone records,
or has questions about any other daemons, etc, I'll do my best to answer
them.  So, those questions should be sent to info@u4ea.org.

    Ahhh, I feel much better now.  Oh, and hey, I don't know what it's
worth, but I'd just like to thank those who posted positive things about
Voicenet.  Believe me it feels great to hear good things from customers,
and although not heard enough, the good things _DO_ outweigh the bad.

    For those of you who are Voicenet customers, rest assured that if for
some reason you call Voicenet, looking for Support with any type of linux
or unix related question/problem, that ANY of us from the Voicenet Technical
Support Department that know the answers, or who are subscribed to this
mailing list get your call, we will do our BEST (although of course, not
yet "officially supported") to help out.

-Bill S.
admin@u4ea.org
http://www.u4ea.org

And now, just a couple things from Voicenet's Tech Support Department who
"know less" about the things our customers do:

http://www.voicenet.com/~mweber/linux/new/	- Linux Support Page
http://www.u4ea.org/				- Free Domain Hosting
mustang.u4ea.org				- u4ea.org Shell Server
viper.u4ea.org					- u4ea.org Shell Server