Bill Jonas on Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:43:13 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Linux compatible ISPs

Hehe... yeah... this is from the emachines web site...

"The UART response for a HSP MicroModem 56K as "8250" is erroneous and will
not cause any degradation in our modems performance.

"A common method to test if a PC is communicating with the modem is to use
the "more info" feature under Control Panel/Modems/Diagnostics. The response
from the "more info" request includes Port, Interrupt, Address, UART, and
Highest Speed, plus ATI1~ 7 responses from the modem. Windows 95/98 directly
accesses the I/O looking for a hardware UART, and this is the source of the
erroneous response. When Windows 95/98 accesses the I/O, it communicates
with our ASIC (not a UART) and reports an 8250 UART. By using a virtual
UART, the PC-TEL HSP solution eliminates the bottleneck a hardware UART
imposes and is not limited to the 115K bit/s throughput. "

Can anybody suggest a decent, inexpensive (non-win) modem that behaves
itself?  :)