Morgan Wajda-Levie on Sun, 29 Aug 1999 16:55:06 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Good bye GIFs

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 05:50:45PM -0500, Chuck Peters wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, elek wrote:
>
> > As much as I'd like to "burn all GIFs" - I'm going crazy here.
> >
> > As a web designer - I've got a gazillion GIFs on sites all over the place.
> > I used GIFs since not all browsers can read jpg's or png's.
> >
> > So now - I have all these GIFs on web sites and no time to get them all
> > switched.
> >
> > I wonder if this is why they held out so long before saying "okay now we
> > want our money"...
> >
> > I knew they pretty much "owned" the format but I thought the vendor of the
> > image software needed the license (I'm not exactly brilliant when it comes
> > to copyright/trademark/patent laws and I'm still not quite sure I
> > understand which vendor licenses are and are not acceptable).
>
> I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as any legal advise, but I wouldn't
> start converting everything to png just yet.  Unisys may not have a legal
> leg to stand on because they did not enforce the patent from the start.

With the exceptions of those people with hundreds of gifs on their
system, what harm does it do for small site designers to swithc over
to pngs?  It doesn't help Unisys, and it saves you the trouble of
getting nasty letters.

--
Morgan Wajda-Levie
http://www.worldaxes.com/wajdalev