Kyle Burton on Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:32:09 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Log rotating

Yes, the number is for the section...the one's I can remember (and these
are not exactly correct) are:

1 - user level commands
2 - C system functions (user kernel api, operating system functions)
3 - C library functions (like libc - eg: printf)
4 - Special Files - like device files
5 - system and configuraiton files, subsystems documentation (like ipc)
6 - I'm not sure, it's probaly user docs -- my system has stuff like
    game man pages, and svgalib manpages here...
7 - more system programing documentaion, and other system documentation
8 - system utilities [sbin binaries], and stuff that's usualy only run
    by superuser
l - nonstandard, looks like it's used by postgress
n - nonstandard, looks like it's used by tcl

"Success covers a multitude of blunders."
    -- George Bernard Shaw