Nick R on Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:17:18 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Log rotating

When you say something like logrotate(8), is the 8 the directory in the man pages where it occurs? & if so, what determines this? It doesn't appear to be aalphabetical or anything.

       -Laktar, a.k.a. Nick Rosen, laktar.dyndns.org

If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord:
89. After I captures the hero's superweapon, I will not immediately disband my
legions and relax my guard because I believe whoever holds the weapon is
unstoppable. After all, the hero held the weapon and I took it from him.
-- Peter's Evil Overlord List, http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

From: Kyle Burton <mortis@voicenet.com>
To: Philadelphia Linux Users Group <plug@lists.nothinbut.net>
Subject: Re: [Plug] Log rotating
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:32:04 -0400 (EDT)

> I hear all this talk on the list about log rotating... And I've found
> mail in my root's mailbox that certain logs are unable to be rotated. SMB
> in particular. Why is this? What funciton actually handles the log file
> rotation? What exactly is this rotation? And is there any "standard
> sysadmin" way of rotating these logs? Whew... probably too many
> questions, all answered by one asnwer. Any suggestions or ideas would be
> helpful :-)

Redhat (and probably other distributions) comes with the logrotate package,
which contains the logrotate(8) utility.

On Redhat, logrotate is configured to be run from cron on a daily basis,
you can find the daily scripts in /etc/cron.daily -- specificly the script
logrotate, which calls the logrotate(8) command.

Other things of interest (other than the manpages for these commands) would
be the /etc/logrotate.conf file, and the /etc/logrotate.d directory.

These files and directories describe what files get rotated, when, and how
it's done.

As for why some logfiles can't be rotated, I would think you'd have to investigate that on your system.

hope this helps...

A bachelor is a selfish, undeserving guy who has cheated some woman out of a
divorce.
-- Don Quinn
mortis@voicenet.com http://www.voicenet.com/~mortis