Alexander John Batyi on Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:35:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Log rotating

> When you say something like logrotate(8), is the 8 the directory in the man
> pages where it occurs? & if so, what determines this? It doesn't appear to
> be aalphabetical or anything.
>
>         -Laktar, a.k.a. Nick Rosen, laktar.dyndns.org

It means you can type
man 8 logrotate

It is known as the manual section.
Section 1 is unix system commands;
Section 2 is kernel system calls in C
Section 3 is user subroutines in C
Section 4 is for devices
Section 5 is file formats
Section 6 is for games
Section 7 is misc
Section 8 is admin commands

There are other sections and I haven't kept up with them I notice
section n seems to be full of Tk stuff..

Some things require you to type the section number for instance;
man passwd
gets you the section 1 man page but;
man 5 passwd
gets you the /etc/passwd file format

'man -k something' helps to see what pages mention 'something'.