Bill Jonas on Wed, 1 Sep 1999 05:58:49 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Help with X installation

Thanks a million... worked like a charm and I was able to run XF86Setup.
New problem now (you knew this was coming, didn't you?  <g>):
I have an ATI 3D Rage IIc graphics card w/4meg which is supported by the
Mach64 driver.  The problem is that the display is, for lack of a better
term... not consistent.  Towards the left side (and parts) of the screen,
the display is mostly sharp, but towards the right hand side, it's
scrambled, mostly on a line-by-line basis.  I'm having a hard time finding
out what the RAMDAC and chipset are... ATI's web site isn't telling me
much... checked out www.xfree86.org as well.  By the way, I will be at the
user's group meeting tonight, so could anyone tell me which files to bring
hard copies of, and how to redirect the text output from startx to a file?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Joel A. Matz wrote:
> I could be wrong, but try running /sbin/ldconfig as root...
>
> Bill Jonas wrote:
> >
> > I've installed Slackware 4.0 using ZipSlack and Linux 2.2.6 in a UMSDOS
> > partition, and I'm trying to install XWindows.  I've downloaded all (I
> > think) of the relevant packages from
> > ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/slackware/slakware/x1 and installed them using
> > installpkg (cd to the directory, and "#installpkg *.tgz"), but when I
try to
> > run startx, I get the message:  "xinit:  can't load library
'libXmu.so.6'".
> > I try to run XF86Setup, and it tells me "XF86Setup:  can't load library
> > 'libXaw.so.6'".  xf86config returns a not found error.  I asked for help
in
> > #linuxhelp on the undernet, and someone said I need Xmu.  Is this so?
What