Joel A. Matz on Wed, 1 Sep 1999 07:59:18 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Help with X installation

1.  My first thought is to make sure that you have the latest server
available from the stable XFree86.org.  3.3.5 had work on the Mach64
server that -may- help.  If you need help installing this server someone
better versed in the Slack should probably pick up.  It's probably just
unpacking & replacing the existing, or maybe redirecting a sym link...

2.  From TFM:

  Occasionally, something will not be quite right when you initially
  fire up the X server. This is almost always caused by a problem in
  your configuration file. Usually, the monitor timing values are off,
  or the video card dot clocks set incorrectly. Minor problems can be
  fixed with xvidtune; a really garbled screen usually means you need to

  If your display seems to roll, or the edges are fuzzy, this is a clear
  indication that the monitor timing values or dot clocks are wrong.
  Also be sure that you are correctly specifying your video card
  chipset, as well as other options for the Device section of
  XF86Config. Be absolutely certain that you are using the right X
  server and that /usr/X11R6/bin/X is a symbolic link to this server.

  If all else fails, try to start X ``bare''; that is, use a command
  such as:

       X > /tmp/x.out 2>&1

  You can then kill the X server (using the ctrl-alt-backspace key com­
  bination) and examine the contents of /tmp/x.out. The X server will
  report any warnings or errors---for example, if your video card
  doesn't have a dot clock corresponding to a mode supported by your
  monitor.

3.  Find tech specs on your video card.  that always helps.

regards, Joel