Master and Servant on Fri, 3 Sep 1999 18:45:30 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Fwd: Your application has been approved for a Free-PC

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Nick R wrote:
> Well why not strip it? The good HW will benefit me more on my Linux box.
> I'll just do a little swapping.

It's a matter of how good their monitoring software is and what it checks
for.  I wouldnt recommend doing anything that would cause you to have to
pay for and/or return the system.

Like I said, run it 10-15 hours (or more) a month as the box they set up,
and then swap out HDs and run it the rest of the month as whatever OS you
want.

As far as 'good hardware'  I am assuming the following:

The specific features of the Free-PC vary by computer manufacturer and are
disclosed to recipients prior to shipment. The following minimum features
are included with every Free-PC:
300MHz But what processor?				300 MHz
assuming 32mb=MINIMUM RAM for usability			32MB RAM
You can't change this -- need the software intact	4.0 GB Hard Drive
I am assuming a WinModem				56K Modem
You need to strip this?they might be able to detect	Floppy Drive
ditto							CD-ROM Drive
so you can swap this out but why?			15-inch color Monitor
ditto							Keyboard
a dime a dozen (ditto)					Speakers
not swappable						Microsoft Windows 98
ditto							Microsoft Outlook
ditto						Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0