Jack Wilkinson on Sat, 4 Sep 1999 08:08:55 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Fwd: Your application has been approved for a Free-PC

It's not quite that bad...

Cyrix 300
32M
4.0GB
56K
Floppy, 32X CD
15" mon
keyboard, speakers

doesn't say anything about a mouse, though there's one pictured.

the speakers in the picture don't look any worse than the little magnavox
speakers I have on my box that look like what you'd plug into a walkman...
the case, you can't do much with, small desktop case, nothing major.

I signed up my sister for one.  She could never afford a system at her
place, and so this is definitely a deal for her.  She'd prolly be happy with
a P133 with 32 and a drive that left abour 300mb free. All you have to do to
fulfill the requirements is leave it on overnight running realaudio or
playing an mp3 list or something if it needs to be interactive usage (don't
recall).  For free, there's not much room for picking and choosing.

Nick R wrote:

> You remember that whole FreePC deal? Well I just got this. So what do you
> all think? The part about the credit card scares me a bit. It would also
be
> nice to see the specs so I could tell if it's worth stripping it for
parts.
> That does fall under what you can do as long as the HD is intact and you
run
> a system off of that for 10 hours a month. Anything anybody could tell me
> about this would be very helpful. BTW, follow that link to register and
read
> all of the specifics of the deal.

I really doubt that you're going to get much for "free".  It's probably
a 300MHz Cyrix with 24M (4M of which will be used for graphics card
functions), a 2G drive, 1G of which will be devoted to their use
(buffering ads, maintaining a database of where you surf and how long
you spend on each site, which will be uploaded once a month or so), a
winmodem, a 15" monitor and some cheesy speakers.  It's already
obsolete, and you're committing to use it for three years, by which time
it'll be worth absolutely nothing.  But hey, at least you won't be
paying $20/month for MSN or some other access provider, which means at
least your "free" ($400 with a $400 rebate) PC won't cost you $720...

-- Tracy Nelson