Nick R on Sat, 4 Sep 1999 02:12:54 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Streamlining Linux

I just installed RH 5.2 on my system and it's eating up quite a bit of memory. About 1/2 of my 64M on start-up. I'd like to streamline this and get rid of all the unnecessary crap that's getting loaded. What I've done so far is to switch Apache to run from inetd so that I don't have a couple of servers running all the time, eating up my memory, when I get very very few hits (to see why, check out laktar.dyndns.org if it's up). I'm also thinking of going through ps ax and checking out what I'm actually using and what's merely superflous (looks like NFS is gonna take a hit until I can get my LAN up and running). It appears though that some daemons spawn a few excess child processes on start-up, which is fine if you're serving amazon.com, but which I don't particularly need and don't necessarily know how to get rid of. For instance, what's mingetty of which there are 5? Well, any pointers to good resources on cutting down on unnecessary stuff meant for higher end computers, any suggestions as to how to get a lot of my memory back, or any identifications of processes that are probably useless on my system would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BTW, here's the collected output of ps ax (I trust nobody will try and use this info to crack my system as: "Nothing important is on my system"):

PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
1 ? S 0:03 init
2 ? SW 0:00 (kflushd)
3 ? SW< 0:14 (kswapd)
4 ? SW 0:00 (md_thread)
5 ? SW 0:00 (md_thread)
48 ? S 0:00 /sbin/kerneld
203 ? S 0:00 syslogd
212 ? S 0:00 klogd
235 ? S 0:00 crond
246 ? S 0:00 inetd
257 ? SW 0:00 (snmpd)
278 ? S 0:00 named
289 ? S 0:00 routed
300 ? SW 0:00 (lpd)
313 ? S 0:00 nwserv
319 ? SW 0:00 (nwbind)
324 ? S 0:00 rpc.mountd
333 ? S 0:00 rpc.nfsd
344 ? SW 0:00 (rpc.rusersd)
366 ? S 0:00 rwhod
369 ? SW 0:00 (ncpserv)
380 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/amd -a /.automount -l syslog -c 1000 /net /etc/amd
393 ? SW 0:00 (nfsiod)
394 ? SW 0:00 (nfsiod)
395 ? SW 0:00 (nfsiod)
396 ? SW 0:00 (nfsiod)
412 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/automount --timeout 60 /misc file /etc/auto.misc
429 a0 S 0:00 gpm -t ms
463 ? SW 0:00 (mcserv)
474 ? SW 0:00 (smbd)
483 ? S 0:00 nmbd -D
500 2 SW 0:00 (mingetty)
501 3 SW 0:00 (mingetty)
502 4 SW 0:00 (mingetty)
503 4 SW 0:00 (mingetty)
504 4 SW 0:00 (mingetty)
506 ? S 0:01 update (bdflush)
573 ? SW 0:00 (ifup-ppp)
580 ? SW 0:00 (pppd)
1872 1 S 0:00 -bash
1888 6 S 0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty6
1890 5 S 0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty5
1895 1 R 0:00 ps ax
189 ? SW 0:00 (portmap)
224 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/atd
355 ? SW 0:00 (rpc.rwalld)
444 ? SW 0:00 (postmaster)

       -Laktar, a.k.a. Nick Rosen, laktar.dyndns.org

If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord:
53. If the beautiful princess that I capture says "I'll never marry you!
Never, do you hear me, NEVER!!!", I will say "Oh well" and kill her.
-- Peter's Evil Overlord List, http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html