Nick R on Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:47:10 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Fwd: Your application has been approved for a Free-PC

Kind of makes me wonder if I can connect up to this w/ other PCs running W95 & Linux. If so, it'll save me a bundle as an ISP. You know, even assuming bad HW, it would make a great server. Just take it offline for 10 hrs a month & surf the web or do some word processing or whatever and you're good for another month.

From: Tracy Nelson <tnelson@fast.net>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [Plug] Fwd: Your application has been approved for a Free-PC
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 19:59:41 -0400

Nick R wrote:

> You remember that whole FreePC deal? Well I just got this. So what do you
> all think? The part about the credit card scares me a bit. It would also be
> nice to see the specs so I could tell if it's worth stripping it for parts.
> That does fall under what you can do as long as the HD is intact and you run
> a system off of that for 10 hours a month. Anything anybody could tell me
> about this would be very helpful. BTW, follow that link to register and read
> all of the specifics of the deal.

I really doubt that you're going to get much for "free".  It's probably
a 300MHz Cyrix with 24M (4M of which will be used for graphics card
functions), a 2G drive, 1G of which will be devoted to their use
(buffering ads, maintaining a database of where you surf and how long
you spend on each site, which will be uploaded once a month or so), a
winmodem, a 15" monitor and some cheesy speakers.  It's already
obsolete, and you're committing to use it for three years, by which time
it'll be worth absolutely nothing.  But hey, at least you won't be
paying $20/month for MSN or some other access provider, which means at
least your "free" ($400 with a $400 rebate) PC won't cost you $720...

-- Tracy Nelson