Jason S. on Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:50:18 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Spam control

Hi. I'm working on a sendmail reconfig here. The reason is spam. I'm
using the m4 macros and whatnot. The basic config is done, and
everything is working fine. I'm already using the rbl, but that's not
stopping a lot of relays that havent been added yet. Also for
some reason I'm accepting mail from relays that dont have a reverse
mapping. Ditching sendmail is not an option. Qmail evangelists,
dont bother :)

I'm running 8.9.3, I'll attach the config.mc I'm using. What I would
like to accomplish is the following:

Reject mail from servers with no PTR records.

Reject mail from servers who's helo do not match their PTR.

Connect to as many RBL type databases as reasonably possible.

I found an interesting looking hack for sendmail. The url is here:
http://www.agh.cc.kcl.ac.uk/unix/archive/checking/

What I'm not looking for, are custom written rulesets. If I
_really_ need to do that, fine. I'd rather find a resource
that I can point other people to/reuse myself. I'd also feel
more comfortable using something like the RBL, since its less
maintenance for me. :)

I cant devote large blocks of time to maintaining an access.db.
But I'd also rather not accept any more spam than I absolutely
have to.

So, if anyone's setup a decent size mailserver and has any spam
resistance tips, I'd love to hear them.

Anyways, here's the mc file:

include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`Written by Jason Stelzer 6/28/1999')
VERSIONID(`sendmail.mc, from sendmail 8.9.3 M4 Sources )
OSTYPE(solaris2)
define(`confBIND_OPTS',`-DNSRCH -DEFNAMES')
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',`goaway')
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')
define(`confCW_FILE',`/etc/mail/sendmail.cw')
FEATURE(mailertable, dbm /etc/mail/mailertable)
FEATURE(genericstable, dbm /etc/mail/genericstable)
FEATURE(virtusertable, dbm /etc/mail/virtusertable)
FEATURE(domaintable, dbm /etc/mail/domaintable)
MASQUERADE_AS(survivalnet.com)
FEATURE(limited_masquerade)
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(survival.net survivalnet.com survivalnetowork.com sn.com)
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN_FILE(/etc/mail/sendmail.cw)
FEATURE(access_db, dbm /etc/mail/access)
FEATURE(rbl)
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
RELAY_DOMAIN_FILE(/etc/mail/sendmail.cw)
MAILER(smtp)
MAILER(cyrus)
define(`CYRUS_MAILER_PATH', `/usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver')
define(`CYRUS_MAILER_FLAGS',`A5@/|')
MAILER(procmail)
define(`confLOCAL_MAILER',`cyrus')

J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.