Tim Krell on Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:58:44 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] running X on a laptop

Title: running X on a laptop
Did you specify a window manager to use?  If you got to the tiny dot screen with the X cursor, that means everything is alright, you just don't have a windowmanager.  (or does it?  correct me if i'm wrong)

tim
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 1999 6:59 PM
Subject: [Plug] running X on a laptop

<newbie alert on>
OK, I'm trying to run RH6 on my HP Omnibook 4100 laptop, and the initial install went ok, as far as I can tell. I think the X system installed ok. However, I can't seem to get to a desktop. I get to the tiny black & white boxes screen with the 'X' cursor, and that's where it stops. I can Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc and get back to a prompt. Xconfigurator found the NeoMagic128 video chip that this notebook uses, and I told it to use the LCD 1024x768 monitor (this is a 14" TFT screen that is normally used 1024x768). I have no earthly idea what any of the other monitor parameters should be, and the probe didn't seem to work at all.

How do I troubleshoot this? What have I done wrong (or forgotten to do)? Everything runs just peachy on my desktop at home, but not on the laptop.

Thanks in advance,

Humbly,
Wayne