LeRoy D. Cressy on Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:48:55 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] lilo Partition entry not found

Hi Son,

Looking at your lilo.conf it looks like a plain dos partition on
/dev/hda5 which is a logical partition.

Lilo User's Guide Page 42

Partition entry not found

The partition from which an other operating system should be booted
isn't listed in the specified partition table.  This either means that
an incorrect partition table has been specified or that you're trying to
boot from from a logical partition.

Son To wrote:

> My Sony Viao F250 laptop came preinstalled with win98. I nuked the win98
> partition and installed Linux. I then proceeded to install win98 from
> the recovery CD. This is not a win98 install CD so it did not over-write
> the mbr.  I modified lilo.conf adding
>
> other=/dev/hda5
>         label=win
>         table=/dev/hda
>
> running lilo gives the message
> "Partition entry not found"
>
> I think the problem is in /boot/map. The lilo man page says that /boot/map
> contains the name and location of kernel(s) to boot. Since I installed
> linux first, /boot/map contains only the location of the linux kernel. How
> do I add the win98 kernel to /boot/map?
>
> thanks for any info,
> son

          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037