Michael W. Ryan on Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:02:28 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Is there a GOOD browser out there?

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Jack Wilkinson wrote:

> opera is coming out with a windows version shortly that will serve as both a
> text based console browser and the commonly-known graphical browser with the
> same stability as the windows version.  It will be, as it is with Windows, a
> $40 commercial product (you get both Windows and Linux versions I believe).
> So if you're willing to wait a tad and shell out $40 or split it with
> someone, it's a pretty good bet that it'll be nice.

I checked over their features list.  Does it support DHTML?  It doesn't
appear so.  Web-based applications are a very hot item these days, and
DHTML support (and I mean more than Netscape's pitiful support) is
necessary for a browser to be a viable candidate in this.

The lag that Netscape has shown in adopting modern Internet technologies
(i.e. DHTML), the gap in "market share" between Navigator and MSIE is
becoming less due to marketing and more due to technology.

If Linux really wants to compete in the modern desktop market, one of the
things that it will need is a good, modern browser.  I don't think "small"
is going to be a big issue.  More focus should be placed on current
technologies and stability.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 1999
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)