Kevin Hill on Sat, 18 Sep 1999 22:55:34 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Running X on a laptop revisited

When you're switching to root, the value of your DISPLAY environment
variable is not being set properly.  To run Netscape as root, type the
following before you launch Netscape:

setenv DISPLAY localhost:0.0 (for csh/tcsh)

or

export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 (for ksh/bash)

This should allow you to open the window as root.

The better solution is to make kppp and pppd setuid root so you can run
it as plain old you.  Just become root and run:

chmod 4755 kppp

and/or

chmod 4755 /sbin/pppd

That should allow non-root users to control the modem device and
connection.

- khill