Eric Windisch on Thu, 23 Sep 1999 23:18:17 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] intro to Linux book ?

Darxus wrote:

> My girlfriend has uttered the words "I want to learn Linux."  I feel so
> unbelievably lucky.
>
> And she's got an extra computer she wants me to install it on.
>
> She's a book person.  I want to find her an appropriate intro to Linux
> type book.
>
> I will be installing Debian.
>
> As I've previously mentioned, I've got a strong bias towards O'Reilly (and
> she apparently also has a high opinion of them).
>
> O'Reilly has a "Learning Red Hat Linux" which I would love a Debian
> version of.  There was also "Running Linux, 3rd Edition".
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Oh wow.
>
> Learning Debian GNU/Linux
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/debian/
>
> Yup, O'Reilly does indeed rock :)

My X-girlfriend wants me to install Linux on her new computer, so I am
going
to install either debian or suse. Today, I found the perfect beginner's
book
for the Unix absolute newbie; although, not sure of the title it was
written
by O' Reilly and was quite thin.. It started with X-windows and just
went
through simple commands to get you though (ls, cd, chmod, mount,
umount,etc)
It was small enough that I skimmed though the book in 5 min without
missing a page :)

I just wish I remembered the name, and I cannot locate it on their
webpage..
my local public library has a copy :)

--
Eric Windisch