Nick R on Mon, 27 Sep 1999 23:10:41 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] certification

Well I think the problem is that you shouldn't be testing rediculous things like the name of the third item down in such and such a menu. You should be testing the person's practical knowledge. You should be required to do a standard task or 2 and then do a few random minor tasks that take a minute or 2 each. & depending on the test, you could be confronted with some problems that you have to solve, like somebody breaking into your system or something. Of course I seriously doubt you could get M$ to do that kind of thing. If only competant people weren't wasting their money taking those tests, then their profit would drop off considerably.

       -Laktar, a.k.a. Nick Rosen, laktar.dyndns.org

If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord:
19. I will not have a daughter. She would be as beautiful as she was evil, but
one look at the hero's rugged countenance and she'd betray her own father.
-- Peter's Evil Overlord List, http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

From: "Vale Kenny" <vkenny@quarterleaf.com>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [Plug] certification
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:22:56 -0400

Ok, Vale's rant mode...

/on

I do not mean to offend, and it is not aimed at you Xtian, but I have to
take issue with this situation. I have worked with numerous paper CNA & MCSE,
none of whom were worth a fiddlers shit when it came to getting real work done.
Too many of them were just in it for the money, getting the most while doing
the least. Call me a luddite, but I think people should earn their marks, and
then take a test to cover any bases they may be weak on. I am no guru, far
from it, as certain members of this list will attest to, but I've earned what
respect I have from doing and performing, not from some piece of paper that
ensures I have some cursory knowledge of a specific topic. I am not saying
that certification is a pointless gesture either. It could be an excellent
barometer for seperating the wheat from the chaff, distinguishing between those
who really know their shit, and those who are muddling along hoping to get by
on a good line of bullshit. I've been to numerous interviews where the
interviewer asked the three or four questions about areas I had not dealt with,
and it would have been endlessly useful to have a writ stating my competency in
an area, but there is no test such as that. THe closest is Cisco's
CCIE. There ain't no way to fake that. Flashing a piece of paper that says I'm
great at cramming, and have paid for the classes should be useless. The
greatest minds I've had the luck to work with are not certified (although some
of them should be :-> ). And some of the worst are roughly the equivalent of
used car salesmen (the stereotype, my apologies to the used car salesmen that
are honest) who were papered out the wazoo.
Michael is correct, if you really need the CNA, and plan to add to the
knowledge and respect of Novell, then go for it. But feeding money to a
papermill simply for the sake of adding letters to you title is questionable at
best, and underhanded at worst. IT professionals are still not afforded the
respect we deserve, even though we are in huge demand now. Most execs view us
as spoiled children, rather than hardworking folks with integrity.
I urge you, everyone, if you are going to get certified, be sure you are doing
it to add to the respect of the field, so you and everyone in our little
sub-culture can benefit. If you're pouring money down some companies throat
just so you can earn mo' money without adding anything in a larger sense, then
maybe you should rethink your drives.

/off

Again, I mean no offense, especially to you Xtian, I think you have the correct
intent, from what I've read of your commentary on this list, but I'm sick of
pointy clicky types whose only drive is to benefit themselves and, and don't
give a shit about the people who really deverve respect.

Peace (sometimes),
Vale