Vettese, Nick A on Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:01:04 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] certification

I am with you.  I see MCSEs come in all the time, and when asked even the
simplest question they fall.  "What is the difference between 95 and NT4?"
All these MCSEs and Computer Science majors all have the same answer.  "It
is more stable."  I am mystified.  I ask them again and again the same
question and they have no clue.  I just tell them good luck in their search
for a job.  If they ask me what they did wrong, I usually tell them they
spent too much money on something that could never help them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aarune J. Oracle [mailto:linux@fsckit.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 9:57 AM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [Plug] certification

I will have to agree on this for the most part, the piece of paper saying
that I know things is not a good thing, sure it would be nice to have that
crediability to add to my resume, but honestly, I didnt get where I am in
this buisness by going to school, I learned it all on the field, in that
respect it should be more valuable then someone that went to 4 years of
colledge for a piece of paper and whom has no clue how to solve a standard
computer problem.  I have seen people that have degrees and certifacations
in different things and I have to help them step by step to install OS's
and rtrouble shoot a hardware problem.  What always ticks me off is they
get offered more money off the bat then what I would.  I feel you should
learn what you want then get the certifacations.  But I can see that will
ot happen any time soon.  Oh well.  Cheers to those who learned computers
the hard way, by breaking them and finding out what they did wrong.  And
fixing it.

--
-Rune

Time is Irrelevant to the worlds beyond this godforsaken place unto which
it destroys all.
		-Aarune J. Oracle

"In the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same" -Slayer.