Brent R. Matzelle on Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:02:01 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Basic Linux

If you are considering web development stuff I would recommend PHP
(http://php.net).  It's syntax uses the best parts of Perl, C++, and Java and
has support for all major databases (Oracle, MySQL, Sybase, ODBC) and also runs
on any OS and web server (Apache, Xitami, PWS, IIS).  Plus its now installed
automatically with Apache on the Linux Mandrake distribution.  I've also
installed it on Windows with Personal Web Server (which runs VBScript/ASP) in
10 minutes.

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Vettese, Nick A wrote:
>
> > I am looking for an easy language to learn.  I have been studying Visual
> > Basic 6 and would like an easy curve into Linux programing.
>
> I'm going to stand with my recommendation of Python.
>
> Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 1999
> mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
> http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/
>
> PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
> PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)

Brent R. Matzelle

- "My way isn't always the best way to do things,
   but it's more fun."