Hugh Brock on Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:54:55 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Pro Unix Colleges

Nick R wrote:

> Scheme?

Very pure, very cool Lisp dialect written by (I believe) Olin Shivers.
No loops or other control structures; just conditional branches and
recursion. Makes you think *very very hard*. Check it out at
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/scheme-home.html.

Scheme is also the foundation of MIT's basic comp sci text, Structure
and Interpretation of Computer Programs. You might in a way consider it
the polar opposite of VB; then again, you might not...

BTW, what's wrong with Macs? They may not have a command line, but for
design work (Quark, Pagemaker, etc.) I have never seen a UI that let me
work as efficiently. At some point, after all, somebody has to get some
work done with these ridiculous machines <g>...