Nick R on Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:11:13 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Pro Unix Colleges

That actually sounds like it could be fun to play around with and infuriating to try and actually do anything with.

I'm very attached to CLIs. They make so many things so much fater and easier. I agree that they're good for some things, but in general I find Macs infuriating, even more so than Win95 (not that it doesn't have some nice features).
-Laktar, a.k.a. Nick Rosen, laktar.dyndns.org

If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord:
79. If my doomsday device happens to come with a reverse switch, as soon as
it has been employed it will be melted down and made into limited-edition
commemorative coins.
-- Peter's Evil Overlord List, http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

From: Hugh Brock <hbrock@ibm.net>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [Plug] Pro Unix Colleges
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:03:38 -0500

Nick R wrote:

> Scheme?

Very pure, very cool Lisp dialect written by (I believe) Olin Shivers.
No loops or other control structures; just conditional branches and
recursion. Makes you think *very very hard*. Check it out at
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/scheme-home.html.

Scheme is also the foundation of MIT's basic comp sci text, Structure
and Interpretation of Computer Programs. You might in a way consider it
the polar opposite of VB; then again, you might not...

BTW, what's wrong with Macs? They may not have a command line, but for
design work (Quark, Pagemaker, etc.) I have never seen a UI that let me
work as efficiently. At some point, after all, somebody has to get some
work done with these ridiculous machines <g>...