Greg Lopp on Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:40:02 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] expect problem

Kyle Burton wrote:

> > How can I check this when I get home tonight?  I don't know much about ptys other
> > than "pseudo terminal".
>
> I know it's an option in the kernel configuration when you build a kernel.
> Also, I think you can check to see if you have a directory /dev/pts, if you
> do, then your system is configured for unix98 ptys.  If you have it, there
> should be a file in there for each 'terminal' you have open.

I remember looking in the /dev directory and finding /dev/ptya0 ..... /dev/ptyz9 or
something.  I had a whole slew of devices that started with the name "pty", but no
/dev/ptys directory.  I'm not sure about a /dev/pts directory.

> > >  Can you run the expect script at root?
> > No.
>
> Why not?  Don't you have root access to your box?

I meant to say that running it as root didn't make any difference.  I can run an expect
script as root; but I have this problem w/ ptys whether I am root or as myself.