Kyle Burton on Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:44:16 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] expect problem

> I remember looking in the /dev directory and finding /dev/ptya0 .....
> /dev/ptyz9 or something.  I had a whole slew of devices that started with
> the name "pty", but no /dev/ptys directory.  I'm not sure about a /dev/pts
> directory.

I pretty sure that's it.../dev/pts.  You'll still have the /dev/pty* devices,
/dev/pts/* should just be a 'standard' interface ontop of them (for now).

> I meant to say that running it as root didn't make any difference.  I can
> run an expect script as root; but I have this problem w/ ptys whether I
> am root or as myself.

Is that 'su' or 'su -' or logged in as root?  or suid root on the script?
(suid root on the script probably won't work).

I'm not sure what would be different, but if you haven't tried it as 'su -'
to root, try it that way...

"Success covers a multitude of blunders."
    -- George Bernard Shaw