Brent R. Matzelle on Wed, 6 Oct 1999 23:01:21 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Memory

The idea of caching sounds nice, but because computers today don't have much
RAM it just makes computers run slower.  I think that the current Linux
distributions still assume that people are using powerful servers and not low
memory workstations.  For instance, M$ Win32 systems do the same thing as Linux
in that they take up all available memory and cache it.  However, on any normal
system with dozens of high-powered programs, the cache runs out in no time
flat.  When I used to use Win32 I set the default cache as 4 MB, and my computer
ran considerably faster because 20+ MB of RAM was freed.

I am currently looking for an option in the Sys V Init files to reduce the
cache.  Maybe it's all for nothing, but it's worth a try.

On Wed, 06 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> "Brent R. Matzelle" wrote:
> > I have a computer with a relatively small amount of RAM (48).  I noticed that
> > when I use the free -t command that Linux caches 22 MB of my memory!  So
> > by the time I start KDE there's no memory left and my computer has to go
> > straight to the swap space, thus slowing down my computer considerably.  Is
> > this ridiculous amount of cached memory necessary?  Is there a way that I can
> > reduce the size of the cache (alike the system.ini file in win32)?  Thanks much.
>
> Huh, I thought that the cached memory was dynamic, and when an
> application needed memory the cache was just dumped and the space given
> to the requesting program.  Is your system still cacheing 22M when KDE
> is up?  I thought the cacheing was a good idea, since unused memory is
> wasted memory.

Brent R. Matzelle

- "My way isn't always the best way to do things,
   but it's more fun."