Tracy Nelson on Wed, 6 Oct 1999 21:45:38 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Memory

"Brent R. Matzelle" wrote:
> I have a computer with a relatively small amount of RAM (48).  I noticed that
> when I use the free -t command that Linux caches 22 MB of my memory!  So
> by the time I start KDE there's no memory left and my computer has to go
> straight to the swap space, thus slowing down my computer considerably.  Is
> this ridiculous amount of cached memory necessary?  Is there a way that I can
> reduce the size of the cache (alike the system.ini file in win32)?  Thanks much.

Huh, I thought that the cached memory was dynamic, and when an
application needed memory the cache was just dumped and the space given
to the requesting program.  Is your system still cacheing 22M when KDE
is up?  I thought the cacheing was a good idea, since unused memory is
wasted memory.