Mental on Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:54:12 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] root user

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Alexander John Batyi wrote:

> > It's not just the security aspects; it's doing something that will cause
> > you to corrupt something - the OS, an app, a hard drive, whatever.
> >
> > Thinking that using root involves only a security danger, and not a danger
> > that you could inadvertently foobar your whole system, is dangerous in
> > itself.
>
> That is all true of course but the guys question was how do you give a
> user root permission with a user name other than root.  Sounds pretty
> cut and dried to me.

Nothing is cut and dried. The reasons behind it, the percieved need for
it, the methodology used all depend on knowing your options. If you
only know one way to do something, how do you know its the best way
to do it? I have no vested intrest either way, but dismissing any
question with out considering multiple approaches just isnt in my
nature.