Walt Mankowski on Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:51:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Re: dos2linux

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 04:29:38PM -0400, Greg Lopp wrote:
> Bin mode vs ascii mode in ftp only relates to the integrity of the high order bit
> of each byte transfered.  FF hex becomes 7F hex, but ^M (0D hex) is unchanged.
>
> The problem is that in a UNIX file, ^A alone is used for end of line.  In DOS,
> ^M^A is used.
>

> .......unless I've been very very wrong all this time....

You've been very, very wrong all this time.  Ascii mode does, by
default, convert CRLF to LF.  From the man page for ftp...

 cr          Toggle carriage return stripping during ascii type file re-
             trieval.  Records are denoted by a carriage return/linefeed
             sequence during ascii type file transfer.  When cr is on (the
             default), carriage returns are stripped from this sequence to
             conform with the UNIX single linefeed record delimiter.
             Records on non-UNIX remote systems may contain single line-
             feeds; when an ascii type transfer is made, these linefeeds
             may be distinguished from a record delimiter only when cr is
             off.