Chuck Peters on Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:46:47 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Ethernet Cards

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Aarune J. Oracle wrote:

> So far I have not found a Nic card that didnt work under linux, I have
> used cards that didnt even have any type of a name on it except ne2000.  I
> figure as long as it is ne2000 compatible it will work.

I have had some bad experiences with really cheap ne2000 cards.  In fact
the card in my girlfriends machine right now works on her linux disk, but
not her windoze disk.  We could only get it to work on irq 15 which
happens to conflict with the secondary IDE controller.

I also had a very unpleasnt experience with the first nic ard I used back
in 1995, an Intel Ether Express.  Some times it would work fine, but most
of the time the machne would completly lock up before 50 pings.

Chuck